Tuesday, November 15, 2022

'Night Security' Upper Floor Level Design

 In researching Level Design, I learnt the importance of creating Bubble Diagrams to map out the outlines of each space that is to be included in the level as a whole. I learnt about Bubble Diagrams from: https://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/tutorials/a-beginners-guide-to-designing-video-game-levels--cms-25662.

Below is my first attempt at a Bubble Diagram.


After working out the desired composition of spaces (a fairly easy task as I didn't have a Client Brief restricting my design choices as I would have in both the fields of Game Level Design and Architecture), I created a Rough Map of the spaces. Traditionally, spaces of transition, such as corridors, may be left unincluded from a Rough Map for certain types of game (See the example in the link above); However, as my game makes heavy use of Architecture to build anticipation and dread, the corridors and corners become key spaces in their own right and are thus worthy of inclusion. A result of this inclusion means the spaces are more easily readable as to how the flow into one another. See the end resulting Rough Map below. 


I then reapplied my annotations to show what each space actually is, allowing for an easily understandable 2D map of the floor that could potentially be included in the game itself as a visual asset. Each space within the design has been considered carefully as to how the Architecture will cause/amplify feelings of fear, anxiety, vulnerability, isolation and anticipatory dread in the Player. Their spatial characteristics, such as ceiling heights, light level and how they could be a vehicle of horror situations has also been considered with their designs. Please find the end result below.





No comments:

Post a Comment

'BioLab' Update 2

Recently I have been attempting to follow a guide to making an FPS, which I shall link down below. https://www.kodeco.com/32435756-how-to-cr...