Tuesday, August 8, 2023

'Project: Mechguard' Progress Update 1

Below is a step-by-step depiction of the iteration process 'Project: Mechguard' has undergone and how the city has evolved throughout the development stages.


Project Intention: The intent for this project is to create a series of replicable tiles to form the basis of a (relatively) randomly generated map-making system. To create a solid foundation to test this idea in the future, with help from my friend Michael Lasslett, I aim to produce a range of city and forest tiles that can be rearranged with little to no complications. This will mean ambitiously combining aspects of Level Design, Environment Design, as well as 3D modelling to create a reasonably believable city.


Stage 1: Concept

Having previously designed a conceptual drawing to explore how the city could be created by scattering buildings, the next step was to determine how to most appropriately break these down into tiles.




Stage 2: Tile Creation and Block-Out

In my previous post (23rd of June), I have shared my experimentations in creating tiles that are fit for the purpose of establishing a basis for the generation-system. Working off the back of this, I began blocking-out the basic geometries to create a visual reference for the city's massing, expanding on my work as I went.


As I developed the massing further, I eventually took to using a concrete slab texture from Quixel Megascans to help the legibility of the Block-Out. 




 
Stage 3: Forest Tile Environmental Design

In this stage, my focus has been directed into making forest tiles through the application of meshes from Quixel Megascans and the Unreal marketplace. As the process involves of applying meshes, replicating them and orientation them, sometimes individually, it is a time-consuming task, but the results are well worth the effort. Below is an overview of my work as well as some images of the Environmental Design. 













- Extra Step: 3D Modelling with Blender -
With help and guidance from Michael, I have created a 3D model skyscraper which can be used at a later date when we start swapping the Block-Out massing skyscrapers with the real assets. The Base at the bottom can be edited later to form the base of the skyscraper if deemed necessary.




1 comment:

'BioLab' Update 2

Recently I have been attempting to follow a guide to making an FPS, which I shall link down below. https://www.kodeco.com/32435756-how-to-cr...